Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Think of basil as a body protector. Two flavonoids found in the popular herb – orientin and vicenin – are believed to protect chromosomes from environmental damage, such as radiation. Basil also provides a moderate degree of protection against bacterial growth due to the presence of strong oils found in and on basil leaves. A natural anti-inflammatory, basil contains a substance that blocks the activity of cyclooxygenase (COX), an inflammatory-inducing enzyme – and that’s exactly what active ingredients in pain medications, such as ibuprofen and aspirin, do, too. Basil’s high percentage of vitamin A may help prevent the oxidation of blood cholesterol, which could lead to the hardening of arteries.
Related: The Easiest Baked Halibut
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Tear 4 15 x 12-inch pieces of parchment paper and fold in half lengthwise like a book. Unfold pieces and lay on a work surface.
- Place 1⁄2 cup mustard greens on 1 piece of parchment, just to the right of the fold going lengthwise in the same direction as the fold. Place 1 basil leaf over center of greens and then 1 lime slice over top. Arrange 1⁄4 of radishes around greens. Drizzle 1⁄2 tsp oil over top and season with salt and black pepper. Place 1 halibut fillet on top. Season halibut lightly with salt, black pepper and cayenne (if using) and place another lime slice over top.
- Fold parchment over and starting at one end, crimp paper around ingredients (similar to making a calzone). Seal paper tightly at the end by folding over and pinching. Repeat to make 3 more pouches. Place pouches on a large baking sheet and transfer to oven. Cook for 15 to 17 minutes, or until fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine all salsa ingredients.
- Carefully make a cut in tops of pouches with scissors. Slowly tear pouches open, being careful to avoid steam. Spoon salsa over fish.
- Serving Size 1 pouch, 1/4 of salsa
- Calories 144
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 56 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 206 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g