Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
When you’re in the mood for a salty, savory snack with some crunch, it’s hard to top a satisfying handful of fries. But fries aren’t exactly the healthiest choice, especially if they’ve literally been fried. We’ve got the perfect alternative – and it’s one that’s just as delicious and perhaps even more decadent. Make a batch of Halloumi “Fries” paired with Hot Honey Dip, and you’ll get all the same crispiness, saltiness and savory flavor, with an extra kick of both flavor and nutrition.
Halloumi, a semi-firm cheese that’s popular in Mediterranean dishes, is so easy to turn into “fries” thanks to its ability to take to crunchy, crispy breading. Here, we’ve coated small sticks of halloumi in panko, which turns golden-brown and perfectly fry-like when baked in the oven at high temps. Plus, halloumi is rich in both protein and calcium, offering more nutritional value than your average batch of fast food fries.
The real kicker in our Halloumi “Fries” recipe, though, is the spicy honey dipping sauce. You’ll find yourself drizzling it on all sorts of things. Plus, the chile peppers (we use two varieties in this recipe) that make it a spicy side are known to boost metabolism and help improve digestive health. Now that’s a fry-friendly sauce that’ll make you feel great!
Halloumi “Fries” with Hot Honey Dip
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan on medium-low, combine honey, red chile and jalapeño. Cook, stirring occasionally, until honey just begins to bubble around the edges, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to a heat-proof serving bowl and set aside.
- Into separate shallow dishes, place flour, beaten egg and panko. Roll each piece of halloumi in flour, then egg and finally through panko, pressing lightly to help the panko adhere. Arrange coated halloumi on prepared baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Bake, flipping once, until golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Set baking sheet on a cooling rack and let cool slightly for 5 minutes. Transfer halloumi sticks to a serving platter and serve with warmed honey mixture for drizzling.
- Serving Size 1 "fry"
- Calories 100
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 24 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 139 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g