Nutritional Bonus: The bell peppers in this salad contain a wide range of antioxidants, including carotenoids and flavonoids, nutrients involved in protecting your body's cells from free radical damage. This salad is also low in calories – with just 160 per jar, it's sure to become a regular in your lunchtime rotation.
- Cook Time
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, thinly sliced (Alternatively, use three-quarters of any variety of bell pepper.)
- 3 tbsp sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped, divided
- 4 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz all-natural uncured sliced black forest ham, sliced into strips (TRY: Applegate Naturals Uncured Black Forest Ham)
- 1/2 oz sliced low-fat provolone cheese, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1 2-cup glass jar with lid
- Mist a small sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add bell peppers and sauté, stirring constantly until softened, 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tbsp onions and 1 tsp thyme. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool in pan.
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, Dijon, remaining 1 tsp thyme, oil and black pepper.
- Build salad: Add dressing to bottom of jar. Layer ham, bell pepper mixture, remaining 1 1/2 tbsp onions, cheese and arugula. Cover with lid and refrigerate. Just before serving, shake jar to distribute dressing. Make up to 1 day in advance.
- Serving Size: 1 jar
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 479 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g