Ham, Cheese & Sweet Pepper Salad Jar
A healthy twist on a classic ham and cheese sandwich, this salad boasts peppery arugula and lightly sautéed bell peppers with a sharp, tangy Dijon dressing.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: The bell peppers in this salad contain a wide range of antioxidants, including carotenoids and flavonoids, nutrients involved in protecting your body’s cells from free radical damage. This salad is also low in calories – with just 160 per jar, it’s sure to become a regular in your lunchtime rotation.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, thinly sliced (Alternatively, use three-quarters of any variety of bell pepper.)
- 3 tbsp sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped, divided
- 4 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz all-natural uncured sliced black forest ham, sliced into strips (TRY: Applegate Naturals Uncured Black Forest Ham)
- 1/2 oz sliced low-fat provolone cheese, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1 2-cup glass jar with lid
- Mist a small sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add bell peppers and sauté, stirring constantly until softened, 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tbsp onions and 1 tsp thyme. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool in pan.
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, Dijon, remaining 1 tsp thyme, oil and black pepper.
- Build salad: Add dressing to bottom of jar. Layer ham, bell pepper mixture, remaining 1 1/2 tbsp onions, cheese and arugula. Cover with lid and refrigerate. Just before serving, shake jar to distribute dressing. Make up to 1 day in advance.
- Serving Size 1 jar
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 479 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g