Better Bacteria: The tomato sauce in this recipe contains a triple dose of prebiotic fiber from the artichokes, onion and garlic. Feeding the bacteria in the gut with non-digestible fiber (aka prebiotics) supports a balanced microbiome, helping to prevent inflammation and regulate the immune system.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
¼ cup kosher salt
4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ cup chopped white onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ tsp each red pepper flakes and sea salt
1 24-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes
1 10-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
1 zucchini, cut into ¼-inch slices
1½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. To a large bowl, add kosher salt. Heat 2 cups water until hot (not boiling); pour into bowl and stir until salt dissolves. Add 2 more cups of cool water. Add chicken; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. In a large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes and sea salt; cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and artichokes. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Stir in basil.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400ºF. Remove chicken from brine; pat dry. Cut 6 to 8 slits about three- quarters of the way through each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way through. Fill each slit with a slice of zucchini. Drizzle chicken with remaining 2 tbsp oil; sprinkle with oregano and black pepper. Place in an ovenproof dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Top chicken with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes more, until a thermometer placed in thickest part of chicken reaches 165ºF.
4. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes. Serve with tomato-artichoke sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 breast and ¼ of sauce
- Calories: 451
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 109 mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 817 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g