Find more holiday recipes
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh marjoram, thyme and sage
- 1½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 1-oz slices all-natural bacon, (no added nitrates or nitrites), cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 cups diced whole-wheat bread (½-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided + additional to taste
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided + additional to taste
- 2 2-lb boneless turkey breasts (2 halves, separated), skin removed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 100% apple cider or unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour)
- In a small bowl, combine marjoram, thyme, sage and rosemary. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet on medium, add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until onion is translucent and very soft. To a large bowl, transfer bacon-onion mixture along with cooking juices; add bread, cheese, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and all but 1 tbsp herb mixture. Set bread mixture and remaining herb mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange 1 turkey breast on a work surface. Using a long, thin knife, cut almost entirely in half parallel to work surface, leaving one side attached. Repeat with remaining breast. Open both breasts like a book and arrange side by side, skinned side down, with long edges overlapping by about 2 inches. Cover with plastic wrap and pound 3/4 inch thick. Arrange bread mixture on turkey, leaving a ½-inch border. Starting at one short side, roll into a log. Use kitchen string to tie at 1½- to 2-inch intervals. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp herb mixture, ½ tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Arrange turkey, seam side down, in a roasting pan. To roasting pan, add broth and ½ cup apple cider. Transfer to oven and immediately reduce heat to 375°F. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Baste turkey with pan juices. Continue roasting and basting every 20 to 30 minutes, until an internal thermometer inserted into the centermost part of roll reads 165°F, 13/4 to 2¼ hours total cooking time. (NOTE: If pan gets dry, add broth or water to maintain 1/4 inch liquid. If turkey gets too browned, loosely cover with foil.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place roasting pan on stove top, straddled over 2 burners if necessary, and add remaining 1/2 cup apple cider. Bring to a boil on medium, scraping up any browned bits in the pan. Whisk in arrowroot-water mixture and cook until sauce is thickened and smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Slice turkey crosswise. Serve pan sauce on the side.
- Serving Size: 6 oz meat and stuffing and 3 tbsp pan sauce
- Calories: 308
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 111 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 514 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g