Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more holiday recipes
- In a small bowl, combine marjoram, thyme, sage and rosemary. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet on medium, add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until onion is translucent and very soft. To a large bowl, transfer bacon-onion mixture along with cooking juices; add bread, cheese, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and all but 1 tbsp herb mixture. Set bread mixture and remaining herb mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange 1 turkey breast on a work surface. Using a long, thin knife, cut almost entirely in half parallel to work surface, leaving one side attached. Repeat with remaining breast. Open both breasts like a book and arrange side by side, skinned side down, with long edges overlapping by about 2 inches. Cover with plastic wrap and pound 3/4 inch thick. Arrange bread mixture on turkey, leaving a ½-inch border. Starting at one short side, roll into a log. Use kitchen string to tie at 1½- to 2-inch intervals. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp herb mixture, ½ tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Arrange turkey, seam side down, in a roasting pan. To roasting pan, add broth and ½ cup apple cider. Transfer to oven and immediately reduce heat to 375°F. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Baste turkey with pan juices. Continue roasting and basting every 20 to 30 minutes, until an internal thermometer inserted into the centermost part of roll reads 165°F, 13/4 to 2¼ hours total cooking time. (NOTE: If pan gets dry, add broth or water to maintain 1/4 inch liquid. If turkey gets too browned, loosely cover with foil.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place roasting pan on stove top, straddled over 2 burners if necessary, and add remaining 1/2 cup apple cider. Bring to a boil on medium, scraping up any browned bits in the pan. Whisk in arrowroot-water mixture and cook until sauce is thickened and smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Slice turkey crosswise. Serve pan sauce on the side.
- Serving Size 6 oz meat and stuffing and 3 tbsp pan sauce
- Calories 308
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 111 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 514 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g