Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Full Recipe Cost: $13.48 | Cost Per Plate: $3.37
- Position oven racks in top third and center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Prick potato all over with a fork, transfer to a baking sheet, and bake on center rack until very tender, about 1 hour. Keep oven on.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of water, and then fit with a steamer basket. Bring to a boil on medium-high, add cauliflower to steamer basket, reduce heat to medium, and cover and steam until very tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a medium bowl.
- When potato is cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop flesh into bowl with cauliflower. Using a potato masher, mash potato and cauliflower until smooth. Stir in broth, oil, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp salt and pinch pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add beef and sauté, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until cooked through, about 9 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate. To same skillet, add parsnip, carrot, onion and garlic and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Return beef and any juices to skillet along with beans, tomato paste, parsley, rosemary, remaining 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt and pinch pepper; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Mist an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon beef-veggie mixture into baking dish. Spoon potato-cauliflower mixture over top and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with paprika (if using). Bake on top oven rack until hot and potato mixture is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serving Size 1/4 of casserole
- Calories 406
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 422 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g