Herbed Bison Burgers with Roasted Garlic Mayo & Carrot Fries
This take on burgers ditches the buns in favor of a collard green wrap and subs in baked carrot fries for the traditional fries that are usually cooked in processed oils.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1 small head garlic
½ tsp avocado oil
Pinch sea salt + additional to taste
½ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
2 lb carrots, peeled, cut into 3 x ½-inch sticks
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
¼ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
4 large collard green leaves
1 lb ground bison or beef
3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp each dried oregano and sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp avocado oil
1. Make garlic mayo: Preheat oven to 425ºF. Slice off top of garlic head to expose cloves. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt. Place in a sheet of foil, wrap up and roast until very fragrant and cloves are golden and soft, about 40 minutes. Remove from foil; let cool. Place mayonnaise in a bowl. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic cloves into bowl; whisk to combine. Season with additional salt if needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Make fries: In a large bowl, toss carrots with oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Spread on 2 large, parchment-lined baking sheets. Roast for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through and beginning to caramelize.
3. Meanwhile, make burgers: Bring a large skillet with 1 inch of water to a simmer. Working one at a time, add collards and cook until tender and bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Layer towels between greens. Let cool. Drain and wipe skillet dry.
4. In a bowl, combine bison, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, mixing with your hands until combined. Divide into 4 portions and form each into a patty. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Cook burgers until desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
5. Arrange a collard green on a cutting board; place a burger near the side facing you. Top with a dollop of garlic mayo. Fold side of collard facing you over patty, fold in sides then roll up. Wrap in parchment, if desired. Repeat with remaining collards, burgers and mayo. Serve with fries.
TAKE IT TO GO: Pack burger ingredients separately. Wrap patty in foil and reheat in a toaster oven, until warmed through; assemble burger. Reheat fries on a tray.
- Serving Size 1 burger and ¼ of fries
- Calories 592
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 102 mg
- Fat Content 45 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 1055 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 28 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g