Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 cups of a muffin tray with paper liners or mist with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, applesauce, 1/4 cup water, flaxseeds, vanilla and vinegar. Set aside for at least 2 minutes while measuring dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir briefly to combine. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir to blend well.
- Fill each muffin cup with about 1 tbsp batter, spreading to cover bottom and part way up the side of each cup. Place a heaping tsp of berries (about 4 to 5 berries) over the center of the batter, taking care not to let berries touch the sides of the cup. Top with another spoonful of batter, and gently spread batter to cover berries completely. Make sure to use all the batter, dividing evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating tray about halfway through, until cupcakes are golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean (it may be moist but shouldn’t have any batter on it). Remove and allow to cool at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing cupcakes from tray to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine chocolate and milk in a large heat-proof bowl set over a small pot of simmering water over low heat. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth and can be drizzled; add more milk if necessary to achieve desired texture.
- Once cupcakes are cool, drizzle chocolate glaze in free-form lines across the top of each cupcake, then top with a raspberry. May be served immediately or stored in an airtight container at room temperature if serving later the same day. Cupcakes can also be stored, wrapped individually in plastic wrap, for up to 3 days in the refrigerator but should be enjoyed at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1 cupcake
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g