Protein powder has been shown to increase muscle mass, improve strength and power, and decrease fat mass – and there are many ways to use it besides simply adding it to smoothies. Try adding it to pancakes or waffles in place of up to 20% of the flour. Stir some into vanilla yogurt, add chopped strawberries and freeze into ice cream. Or whisk it into hot milk or coconut milk for your morning latte. Here, we’ve mixed it into a banana quick bread with warming spices for a satiating snack with 11 grams of protein per slice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted + additional for greasing
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour + additional for dusting
1 cup almond flour
½ cup protein powder (Try: Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Powder)
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
3 bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups)
½ cup coconut sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with oil and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose and almond flours, protein powder, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together bananas, oil, coconut sugar, eggs, yogurt and vanilla until smooth. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture. Stir well until dry ingredients are incorporated. Transfer to prepared pan.
4. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer loaf to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 10 slices. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for longer storage.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 309
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 57 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 336 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g