Honey-Cranberry Chicken with Orange-Paprika Rice
Sweet oranges and tart cranberries make a perfect pair when you want to perk up your plate with tang and color. Adding orange peel as you begin cooking your rice, and orange juice at the end of the process, lends a smooth flavor and fragrance to this cranberry chicken.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you liked this cranberry chicken, try this raw butternut squash & cranberry salad.
COST PER SERVING
Video: Cooking Rice
Learn to cook the perfect pot of rice – Chef Jo has four kinds to share, two of which are sure to impress guests!
- 1 cup brown rice
- Zest 1 orange
- Juice 1 orange
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 cup whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 equal portions (TIP: Butterfly breasts into halves if they are more than 1-inch thick.)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Cook rice according to package directions, first adding zest to pot when you add water. When rice is cooked through, remove from heat and stir in orange juice, paprika and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Chop cranberries and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium for 1 minute. Add chicken, swirl to coat in oil and saute for 3 minutes or until chicken begins to turn golden brown. Flip breasts over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add cranberries, honey, 1/4 cup water, mustard, sage and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to chicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Cut into thickest part of breast to check for doneness. If still pink, continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Continue cooking sauce for another 10 minutes or until it has reduced to a thick paste. Mound out 3/4 cup rice onto each of 4 plates. Serve 4 oz chicken topped with 1 tbsp cranberry sauce.
- Serving Size 3/4 c rice, 4 oz chicken, 1 T cranberry sauce
- Calories 352
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 554 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g