Another Middle Eastern classic, this savory bread pudding–style dish features a base of flatbread topped with creamy hummus.
Fatteh: A Better Bread Pudding
Another Middle Eastern classic, this savory bread pudding–style dish features a base of flatbread topped with creamy hummus and is traditionally drizzled with hot ghee and pine nuts. Research shows that heart-healthy pine nuts are linked to cholesterol-lowering effects and may help prevent buildup of plaque in blood vessels.
- 3 6-inch whole-grain pitas, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 15-oz BPA-free cans chickpeas, divided (reserve 2 tbsp liquid before draining)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 lemons, juiced, divided
- ½ cup full-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, chopped green onions, pickled turnips
- Prepare pita chips: Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large baking sheet, place pita; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with one-quarter of salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Prepare hummus: In a food processor, place three-quarters of the chickpeas. Add garlic and remaining three-quarters of salt and process until smooth; add tahini and three-quarters of lemon juice and process until smooth; add yogurt and cumin and process to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on medium, heat remaining one-quarter of chickpeas with reserved liquid and remaining one-quarter of lemon juice, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In an 8 x 11-inch casserole dish, place one-half of the baked pita chips and top with heated chickpeas with liquid and mix well. Layer remaining pita chips over top. Top with creamy hummus mix.
- In a small skillet on medium, heat ghee. Add pine nuts and cook until fragrant and golden. Pour pine nut ghee mixture over fatteh. Garnish with chopped parsley, green onions and pickled turnips (if using).
- Serving Size 1⁄6 of recipe
- Calories 519
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 31 g
- Fiber Content 11.5 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5.5 g
- Sodium Content 753 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 11 g