Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
TIP: If following our Two-Week Meal Plan, only 5 eggs need to be hardboiled as 1 serving will be eaten without an egg. To store leftovers for use in Meal Plan recipes, divide 4 1⁄2 cups Indian Red Lentils among 3 freezer-safe containers and 1⁄2 cup rice among 2 freezer-safe containers. Reserve for use when called for.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare lentils: In a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño and ginger and sauté for 1 to 2 more minutes, until fragrant. Stir in lentils, 1⁄4 cup cilantro, cumin seeds, salt and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and lentils are softened, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1⁄4 cup cilantro.
- Divide rice, lentil mixture, eggs and tomato among serving bowls. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cup red lentils, 1/4 cup cooked rice, 1 tbsp chopped tomato
- Calories 442
- Carbohydrate Content 64 g
- Cholesterol Content 187 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 6.5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 211 mg
- Sugar Content 7.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g