A Thistle With Heart
The artichoke is a Mediterranean cooking staple loaded with the essential vitamin C, used by the body for the growth and health of skin, blood vessels, tendons and ligaments. One medium, cooked artichoke provides up to 15% of your recommended daily intake.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
MAKE IT FAST
1. On the Instant Pot, select Sauté, adjust heat to Medium/Normal and add oil. Add sausage, onions and Italian seasoning and cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute. Pour mixture into a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in cheese and basil and mix, breaking up any big pieces of sausage. Rinse out pot and return to appliance.
2. Using a serrated knife, cut off top quarter of artichokes and trim stems off to within 1 inch of their base. Rub cut surfaces with lemon. Separate leaves to open up the artichokes and make it easier to stuff filling between leaves. Push stuffing down between the leaves, dividing evenly among artichokes.
3. Place a trivet in the pot and add water. Cut up the lemon used to rub the artichokes and add to pot. Place artichokes on trivet, stem side down. Set release valve to seal, select Pressure and set to More/High; adjust time to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, blend red peppers and balsamic in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
5. On the Instant Pot, let pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure. To test for doneness, pull a leaf from the center of an artichoke and scrape the tender bottom of the leaf off with your teeth; it should come away easily. If the artichokes need more time, lock lid back on and cook on high pressure for 1 to 3 minutes more. Quick-release pressure.
6. Using tongs, carefully transfer artichokes to serving plates and serve with red pepper sauce.
MAKE IT SLOW
1. Using the sauté function in a 4½- to 7-quart slow cooker (or in a skillet on medium), heat oil. Add sausage, onions and Italian seasoning and cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in cheese and basil and mix, breaking up any big pieces of sausage. Rinse pot and return to appliance.
2. Follow Step 2 of Make It Fast instructions to prepare artichokes.
3. Pour water into slow cooker. Place artichokes directly in slow cooker, stem side down. Chop up lemon used for rubbing and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. To test for doneness, pull a leaf from the center of an artichoke and scrape the tender bottom of the leaf off with your teeth; it should come away easily.
4. Follow Step 4 of “Make It Fast” instructions to make sauce.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 28 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 594 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g