We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Make meatballs: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Using an ice cream scoop, divide mixture into 24 1-tbsp portions. Gently roll between palms to form meatballs and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, until just cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, make soup: In a large pot on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes. Add celery, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
3. Pour in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add meatballs, partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
4. Just before serving, add escarole and pepper flakes (if using). Stir until escarole is just wilted. Season with additional salt and black pepper. Garnish with parsley (if using).
TAKE IT TO GO: Warm on the stove in the morning and pack in an insulated container.
- Serving Size 1½ cups
- Calories 337
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 587 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g