Japanese Negimaki with Gingery Carrot Puree
Negimaki are traditionally marinated beef rolled around scallions. Here, asparagus and carrots are used instead for a unique twist.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE: $3.20
- 2 1/2 large carrots, peeled, divided (NOTE: Slice 2 carrots into ½-inch-thick slices and remaining 1/2 carrot into matchsticks.)
- 2 tbsp raw honey, divided (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 5 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 4 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger, divided
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp lime zest plus 4 tsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp red miso
- 1 lb beef flank steak, pounded to 1⁄8-inch thick and cut into 8 4 x 1-inch rectangles
- 12 pencil-thin asparagus spears, trimmed and halved crosswise (NOTE: If thin asparagus isn't available, cut larger asparagus in half lengthwise before cutting crosswise.)
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- 16 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- In a medium saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil. Add sliced carrots to steamer basket. Cover, reduce to medium and steam until very tender when tested with a fork, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots to a food processor along with 2 tbsp hot cooking water, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp ginger, sesame oil, lime zest, 1 tsp lime juice and pinch pepper. Purée until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium baking dish, whisk together miso, remaining 1 tbsp honey, 4 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tbsp lime juice and pinch pepper. Add beef to dish, turning to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, bring 1/2 inch water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Plunge asparagus into a bowl of ice water for 30 seconds, then use a slotted spoon to transfer to a baking sheet. To same water, add carrot matchsticks and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Plunge into ice water and transfer to sheet with asparagus.
- Place steak on a large cutting board. Pile 3 pieces asparagus and 4 carrot matchsticks along the long side of 1 steak strip, 1 inch from edge. Starting at edge nearest vegetables, roll up steak as tightly as possible and secure with 2 toothpicks. Repeat to make 8 rolls total.
- In a large grill pan on medium-high, heat safflower oil. Grill rolls until steak is browned on the outside and medium-rare to medium on the inside, turning often with tongs, about 8 minutes total. Remove rolls from pan and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks. Divide purée among serving plates and top each with rolls.
- Serving Size 2 rolls and 1/2 cup puree
- Calories 263
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 68 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 392 mg
- Sugar Content 10.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g