Find more vegetarian recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 head garlic (6 unseparated cloves)
- 4 green onions, divided
- 2 5-inch pieces dried kombu or kelp
- 7 coins sliced fresh ginger (from 2-inch piece)
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 3 tbsp mirin or sake
- 2 tsp organic evaporated cane juice, optional
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (8 oz) cooked brown rice vermicelli noodles or udon noodles, or 2 8-oz packages shirataki noodles, rinsed, drained, and snipped into spaghetti-length pieces
- 2 cups snow peas and/or thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 4 tsp sesame oil, optional
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- Cut garlic head in half through the middle to expose centers of cloves. Place garlic in slow cooker. Trim white parts from green onions, and add white parts to slow cooker along with kombu and ginger. Finely chop green tops of green onions, and set aside.
- Add tamari, mirin, cane juice (if using), and 8 cups water to slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 8 hours. Strain, and discard solids. Return broth to slow cooker, add mushrooms and carrots, cover, and cook 1 hour more, or until vegetables are tender.
- Divide noodles among 4 large bowls. Top with snow peas, then ladle broth over top. Garnish with chopped green onions and, if using, oil and seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 289
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 588 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g