Make-Ahead Mini Frittatas
We love breakfast frittatas here at Clean Eating, but we know that time doesn’t always permit a leisurely morning meal. Enter these scrumptious Italian-style mini frittatas with tomatoes, chicken sausage, mozzarella and basil that are baked in a muffin tin for ultra-portability.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 small yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 4 2-oz links cooked all-natural Italian chicken sausage, no added nitrites or nitrates, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (TRY: Traders Point Creamery Plain Whole Milk Yogurt)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mist a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet on medium-low, heat oil. Add potatoes, onion and salt and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add sausage, garlic and tomatoes and and sauté for 2 minutes more. Divide mixture among muffin tins and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. Stir in cheese, basil and pepper. Divide evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. Slide a knife around each frittata and gently remove, placing on a large rimmed baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours, then transfer to a large zip-top freezer bag. Return to freezer until ready to serve, up to 1 month.
- To serve, preheat oven to 400ºF. Place frozen frittatas on a rimmed baking sheet misted with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, until heated through. A microwave may also be used, if desired. Frittatas can also be eaten cold; defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size 2 mini frittatas
- Calories 291
- Carbohydrate Content 15.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 297 mg
- Fat Content 15.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 489 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g