Kale Chicken Caesar Salad
Kale puts a new spin on your classic caesar salad, with a lightened-up (but equally garlicky!) dressing and ample protein to boot.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, divided
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (TIP: For best results, let bread dry out overnight.)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (water-packed), drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp raw unsalted pine nuts
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Fill a large pot with water. Add chicken, 1 clove garlic, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. With two forks, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, fill a large shallow pot with 1/2 inch water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and add kale. Drizzle lemon juice over kale and cook for 5 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add kale to bowl until cool. Drain and let dry.
- Prepare croutons: Arrange an oven rack in top position. Preheat broiler to high. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 clove garlic, halved. Rub garlic on both sides of bread. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and broil on top oven rack, turning once, until golden. Cut each slice into 4 triangles.
- Prepare dressing: In a food processor, purée dressing ingredients and 2 tsp water until creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, shallot, artichokes, chicken and nuts. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top Kale Chicken Caesar Salad with croutons.
- Serving Size 3 oz chicken, 3 cups salad, 2 croutons
- Calories 323
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 67 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 440 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g