Hail Kale Chicken Caesar with Creamy Chive Dressing
Our robust kale salad with seasoned poached chicken uses yogurt as the base for its creamy dressing, adding beneficial bacteria to every bite. We suggest looking for organic, grass-fed yogurt options. Anchovy fillets are optional here, but highly recommended – they contain omega-3 fatty acids, while being low in mercury and other toxins because they are a small fish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Try these 5 Simple Salad Dressings for a creative alternative to your everyday salad.
- 3 lemons (NOTE: Slice 1 and juice the remaining 2 to yield about ¼ cup), divided
- 3 sprigs each fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2cups plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets (jar-packed in olive oil), finely chopped, optional
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 lb Lacinato kale (aka Tuscan or dinosaur kale), stems and thick ribs discarded, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted walnuts, toasted and chopped into large pieces (3 oz)
- To a large saucepan, add sliced lemon, herb sprigs, onion and 4 to 5 inches of water (enough to cover chicken by about 1 inch). Cover and bring to a boil. Add chicken. As soon as water starts bubbling, reduce heat to medium to maintain a slow simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink in thickest part and temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 14 minutes, turning chicken halfway through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool. (NOTE: Chicken may be cooked up to 2 days ahead. Cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Chicken may be served warm, cold or at room temperature.)
- To a large bowl, add yogurt, lemon juice, oil, anchovies (if using), 1 tbsp chives and onion powder; stir to combine. Add kale, tomatoes, pepper and salt. Toss well to combine.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice against the grain. Divide salad among 4 plates. Top each plate evenly with chicken, walnuts and remaining 1 tbsp chives.
- Serving Size 2 cups salad and 1 cup chicken
- Calories 353
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 75 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 203 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g