Keto Falafel Bowl
Traditional falafel is made with chickpeas, but our lower-carb version is made with cauliflower rice and almond flour. You can cook them in a waffle iron for a fun presentation, or bake them to keep it simple. If you like a bit of heat, add a splash of harissa or sriracha to the tahini dressing.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower rice, thawed (1 12-oz pkg)
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 romaine hearts, torn (about 6 cups)
- 1 small English cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced (about 1⅓ cups)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- Make dressing: In a small, unheated skillet, combine oil and garlic. Heat on low until mixture sizzles; cook for 1 minute, then transfer to a blender or small food processor. Add tahini, parsley and lemon juice; process until well mixed. Add warm water, 1 tbsp at a time, and process until desired consistency, adding 7 to 8 tbsp water in total. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make falafel: In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl to cool. Place cauliflower in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to bowl with onion mixture and add remaining falafel ingredients.
- Cook falafel: Preheat oven to 400ºF; line a baking sheet with parchment. Using an ice cream scoop, portion mixture into balls (about 2 tbsp each); press into 2½-inch-wide patties. Place on sheet; mist with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes. Flip, mist other side and bake until cooked through and golden, 10 minutes longer. (Or use a waffle iron: Portion mixture into balls, then, following manufacturer’s instructions, place 1 ball in center of each waffle iron section. Cook until golden.)
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Add ¼ cup dressing, or to taste, and toss. Divide among bowls and top with falafel. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 469
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 40 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 518 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 25 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 9 g