Do you want to learn more about the ketogenic diet? Register now to join best-selling author Maria Emmerich, the foremost authority on the keto diet and a wellness expert in nutrition and exercise physiology, for our newest 8-week clean online course Clean Keto for Weight Loss: The Ultimate Guide to a High-Fat Diet.
By now, you’ve probably heard of the popular cryotherapy treatments that are believed to burn hundreds of calories per session and boost metabolism.
Well, there are more ways than one way to get the benefits of cryotherapy than shelling out hundreds of dollars per session at a fancy clinic.
First allow me to explain how cryotherapy works.
There are 2 types of fat in the body:
- White Adipose Tissue (WAT): WAT is what we normally refer to as “body fat.” We want to burn white fat, but brown fat is beneficial because it helps burn calories and burn the unhealthy WAT.
- Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT): BAT is composed of iron-containing mitochondria (powerhouse of cells), which is best known for creating ATP (energy). More mitochondria = more energy!
BAT helps use excess calories for heat. If you use proper techniques, you can use brown adipose tissue to your advantage so excess calories aren’t stored as white adipose tissue, which ends up as undesired belly fat. Cold stimulates BAT to burn excess fat and glucose for energy. This is why Michael Phelps can consume over 12,000 calories/day. He isn’t just exercising that much, the cool water of the pool stimulates BAT; therefore, he needs extra calories to keep the weight from melting off.
6 Tips for Activating Brown Fat
1. Use ice packs on the back/neck for 30-60 minutes while relaxing at night when insulin levels are higher and more sensitive.
2. Soak your feet in cold water at night or right away in the morning when you first wake up. This will stimulate heat throughout the day.
3. Suck on ice cubes throughout the day. I sweeten mine a touch with Fruit Punch stevia drops.
4. Have a snow cone for dessert. Try my "Healthified" Snow Cone Recipe below.
5. Take a cold shower upon arising.
6. Lower the temperature in your house by 5 degrees.
“Healthified” Snow Cone Recipe
- Place tea bags in very hot water and let steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the fridge (I always have strawberry iced tea in the fridge).
- Sweeten with stevia drops to desired sweetness.
- Let cool for 3 hours or overnight (some tea will steep in cool water so you don’t have to wait to cool it down!).
NOTE: For an even tastier snow cone, make the tea into ice cubes and crush to make the ice for the snow-cone!
Place ice in snow cone maker. Top the crushed ice with the strawberry iced tea.
Nutritional Comparison (per 8 ounce serving):
Traditional ICE-E = 117 calories, 29 g carb, 0 fiber
“Healthified” ICE-E = 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fiber