Fermented for your gut: Fermented foods like miso are rich in beneficial enzymes and bacteria that contribute to better gut health and digestion. By consuming them, they increase the good flora in your microbiome, aiding in the absorption of nutrients.
Cost per plate: $0.88
- You’ll need a kettle with a wide opening in the lid so you can get the eggs in and out with ease. If your kettle is small, you may have to do one at a time.
- You don’t need a kitchen scale to measure the noodles. Many Asian brands of brown rice vermicelli are formed into large nests; half of one of these nests weighs about 1½ oz.
- Prep Time
2 large eggs (unshelled)
1½ oz brown rice vermicelli noodles
1½ tbsp brown or white miso
2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sriracha + additional for serving
1 cup thinly sliced savoy cabbage
½ cup grated carrot
¼ cup shelled edamame, thawed if frozen
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1. Place eggs on bottom of an electric kettle; fill with water. (NOTE: If you have an older model with exposed heating element, tuck a folded kitchen towel under one side of kettle to tilt eggs away from element.) Bring water to a boil. Turn off kettle; let stand for 2 minutes.
2. Place noodles in a large heat-proof bowl. Using a long-handled wooden spoon, remove eggs from kettle. Place in a bowl of ice water; set aside. Pour remaining boiled water over noodles to cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Refill kettle and bring water to a boil.
3. To a 4-cup heat-proof jar, add miso, soy sauce, vinegar and sriracha, stirring to break up miso.
4. Drain noodles and transfer to jar. Add cabbage, carrot and edamame and pour in 2 cups boiling water, filling jar just to the neck. Cover with lid, but do not seal. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir soup with a fork or the handle of a wooden spoon to combine.
5. When eggs are cool enough to handle, crack shell and peel. Pour soup into bowls or smaller jars. Cut eggs in half and arrange on soup. Top with onion. Drizzle with additional sriracha (if using).
- Serving Size: ½ of recipe
- Calories: 117
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 93 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 369 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g