- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 16-oz jarServings
- 1 daikon radish, peeled and cut into 3½-inch sticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3½-inch sticks
- 1/4 tsp orange zest + 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp peeled and grated ginger
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp ground Korean red chile pepper (aka Gochugaru), or hot paprika powder
- 1/8 tsp umeboshi plum paste (or 1 prune and 1 tsp rice vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 16-oz wide-mouth glass jar with lid, sterilized
- 1 small glass jar with lid (4 oz or 8 oz), sterilized (NOTE: Jar should be narrow enough to fit inside rim of 16-oz jar.)
- To a large bowl, add radish and carrots.
- Prepare paste: To a food processor or blender, add all paste ingredients. Process until well combined. Add paste to bowl with vegetables and toss to coat.
- Transfer sticks to a 16-oz jar, placing them upright and packing in tightly. Pour in any remaining paste.
- In a large glass measure, stir together brine ingredients until salt dissolves. Pour into jar, leaving 1-inch headspace between surface of liquid and rim of jar.
- Place a follower, such as a cabbage leaf, silicone mat or sterilized ceramic weight, on top of kimchi mixture to keep pieces submerged under the liquid while kimchi ferments.
- Fill a small jar with water and seal tightly with lid. Place small jar inside 16-oz jar on top of follower to keep mixture submerged in liquid. Place in a shallow bowl or baking sheet to catch any overflow; cover with a clean tea towel.
- Let ferment for 5 to 8 days in a cool place away from direct sunlight, checking daily to make sure veggies are submerged and pressing down on weight to release more liquid as needed. Remove weight and follower, seal tightly and refrigerate for up to 12 months. (NOTE: Fermenting radish will release a sulfurous odor. Don’t be alarmed; this will mellow over time and is not indicative of the taste.)
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 19
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 232 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g