Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- To a large bowl, add radish and carrots.
- Prepare paste: To a food processor or blender, add all paste ingredients. Process until well combined. Add paste to bowl with vegetables and toss to coat.
- Transfer sticks to a 16-oz jar, placing them upright and packing in tightly. Pour in any remaining paste.
- In a large glass measure, stir together brine ingredients until salt dissolves. Pour into jar, leaving 1-inch headspace between surface of liquid and rim of jar.
- Place a follower, such as a cabbage leaf, silicone mat or sterilized ceramic weight, on top of kimchi mixture to keep pieces submerged under the liquid while kimchi ferments.
- Fill a small jar with water and seal tightly with lid. Place small jar inside 16-oz jar on top of follower to keep mixture submerged in liquid. Place in a shallow bowl or baking sheet to catch any overflow; cover with a clean tea towel.
- Let ferment for 5 to 8 days in a cool place away from direct sunlight, checking daily to make sure veggies are submerged and pressing down on weight to release more liquid as needed. Remove weight and follower, seal tightly and refrigerate for up to 12 months. (NOTE: Fermenting radish will release a sulfurous odor. Don’t be alarmed; this will mellow over time and is not indicative of the taste.)
- Serving Size 1/4 cup
- Calories 19
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 232 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g