DISEASE-FIGHTING DUO This recipe stars garlic and ginger, both of which have major nutritional impact. The sulfur-containing compounds found in garlic sweep up harmful bacteria and yeast in the intestines and promote production of glutathione, which the body needs to clean up toxins. Ginger contains gingerol-9, a powerful compound that has shown promise in preventing the growth of cancer cells in the prostate, ovaries and prostate.
MAKE AHEAD Marinate the ribs and prepare the Quick-Pickled Carrots (through Step 2).
FINISH ON SITE Grill the beef and assemble the lettuce wraps.
PACK THESE TOOLS Grill, grilling tongs, paper towel, knife, cutting board and platter.
- Prep Time
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 green onion, minced
3 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome! Raw Honey)
2 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1¾ lb flanken-style boneless beef short ribs (12 ribs; about ¼ inch thick)
3 tbsp safflower oil
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
4 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp raw honey
1 tsp lime zest + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
12 red leaf or gem lettuce leaves
thinly sliced radishes, cilantro sprigs, hot sauce, sesame seeds, optional
1. Prepare marinade: In a blender, blend the first 8 ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a zip-top bag with ribs; marinate refrigerated at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Prepare Quick-Pickled Carrots: In a portable lidded container, combine the first 6 ingredients; add carrots and toss.
3. Preheat a greased grill or grill-pan on high. Pat ribs dry, discarding marinade, then grill ribs until caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, remove from bone and cut into 2-inch pieces.
4. Fill lettuce wraps with beef, carrots and, if using, radishes, cilantro, hot sauce and seeds.
- Serving Size: 2 wraps
- Calories: 316
- Carbohydrate Content: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 82 mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 233 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g