Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
DISEASE-FIGHTING DUO This recipe stars garlic and ginger, both of which have major nutritional impact. The sulfur-containing compounds found in garlic sweep up harmful bacteria and yeast in the intestines and promote production of glutathione, which the body needs to clean up toxins. Ginger contains gingerol-9, a powerful compound that has shown promise in preventing the growth of cancer cells in the prostate, ovaries and prostate.
MAKE AHEAD Marinate the ribs and prepare the Quick-Pickled Carrots (through Step 2).
FINISH ON SITE Grill the beef and assemble the lettuce wraps.
PACK THESE TOOLS Grill, grilling tongs, paper towel, knife, cutting board and platter.
- Prepare marinade: In a blender, blend the first 8 ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a zip-top bag with ribs; marinate refrigerated at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare Quick-Pickled Carrots: In a portable lidded container, combine the first 6 ingredients; add carrots and toss.
- Preheat a greased grill or grill-pan on high. Pat ribs dry, discarding marinade, then grill ribs until caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, remove from bone and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Fill lettuce wraps with beef, carrots and, if using, radishes, cilantro, hot sauce and seeds.
- Serving Size 2 wraps
- Calories 316
- Carbohydrate Content 7.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 82 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 233 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g