Flanken ribs are short ribs cut into thin cross-section slices one-quarter to one-half inch thick and include three or four pieces of bone. This tender rib cut marinates in minutes, cooks quickly on the grill and has a delicious, beefy flavor – talk about a weeknight win! Look for flanken ribs at the butcher counter of your favorite grocery store and at Asian markets.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (TRY: San J Reduced-Sodium Tamari)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar, divided
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chile-bean paste)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil, divided (TRY: Eden Toasted Sesame Oil)
- 1 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 2 lb flanken-style bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (TRY: Simply Organic Whole Sesame Seed)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, two-thirds of vinegar, gochujang, one-half of sesame oil, honey, ginger and pepper. Add ribs and toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using a mandoline, cut or peel cucumber and radishes into strips (for the cucumber, create strips lengthwise). Place in a colander and toss with salt; set aside to drain for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat a greased grill to high. Place ribs on grill, cover and cook until browned and charred in places, about 3 minutes. Flip with tongs and cook on second side, covered, until browned on second side, about 3 minutes more. (Alternatively, preheat broiler to high and line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange ribs on prepared baking sheet and broil 4 inches from broiler element until charred, about 3 minutes per side. Discard any fat and juices in pan.)
4. Pat cucumber mixture dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with remaining one- third of vinegar and one-half of sesame oil.
5. Snip short ribs into 2-inch lengths with clean kitchen shears and serve with salad. Garnish with seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 414
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 69 mg
- Fat Content: 35 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 465 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g