Flanken ribs are short ribs cut into thin cross-section slices one-quarter to one-half inch thick and include three or four pieces of bone. This tender rib cut marinates in minutes, cooks quickly on the grill and has a delicious, beefy flavor – talk about a weeknight win! Look for flanken ribs at the butcher counter of your favorite grocery store and at Asian markets.
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (TRY: San J Reduced-Sodium Tamari)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar, divided
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chile-bean paste)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil, divided (TRY: Eden Toasted Sesame Oil)
- 1 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 2 lb flanken-style bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (TRY: Simply Organic Whole Sesame Seed)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, two-thirds of vinegar, gochujang, one-half of sesame oil, honey, ginger and pepper. Add ribs and toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using a mandoline, cut or peel cucumber and radishes into strips (for the cucumber, create strips lengthwise). Place in a colander and toss with salt; set aside to drain for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat a greased grill to high. Place ribs on grill, cover and cook until browned and charred in places, about 3 minutes. Flip with tongs and cook on second side, covered, until browned on second side, about 3 minutes more. (Alternatively, preheat broiler to high and line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange ribs on prepared baking sheet and broil 4 inches from broiler element until charred, about 3 minutes per side. Discard any fat and juices in pan.)
4. Pat cucumber mixture dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with remaining one- third of vinegar and one-half of sesame oil.
5. Snip short ribs into 2-inch lengths with clean kitchen shears and serve with salad. Garnish with seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 414
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 69 mg
- Fat Content: 35 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 465 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g