- Prepare marinade: In a bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- Using a fork, prick steak all over to break up any connective tissue. Add the steak to a casserole dish and coat with ⅓ cup of the marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, flipping twice (or marinate at room temperature for 40 minutes, flipping a few times).
- Bring steak to room temperature. Preheat a greased grill to medium-high. Remove steak from the marinade, letting excess marinade drip off; discard excess marinade.
- Grill steak to desired doneness, flipping once or twice, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, and brushing with some of the remaining marinade the last minute of cooking. Grill the onion, flipping until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. If using green onions and long green chiles, add to the grill and cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Brush with remaining marinade before serving, if desired. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Serve with onions, leaf lettuce and more marinade if desired, and kimchi to make lettuce packets.
Leftover gochujang marinade? Here are four ways to use it.
- Dip: Mix leftover gochujang marinade with Greek yogurt, sour cream or mayonnaise to dip potato wedges, vegetable sticks or potato chips.
- Topping: Top over your favorite burger and sandwich. You can even spread it over grilled corn and sprinkle it with chopped cilantro for a spicy, sweet, fresh street corn.
- Vinaigrette: Stir unseasoned rice vinegar into marinade and drizzle over sliced tomatoes and silken tofu for the most seriously refreshing appetizer.
- Noodle Sauce: Mix with any pasta or noodle. Or, try a gojuchang carbonara twist by tossing pasta with the marinade, cooking water, cooked bacon, Parmigiano cheese and egg yolk.
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 192
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 51 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 379 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g