Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a food processor, pulse mushrooms, onion and 1 clove garlic until finely chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add chia seeds, thyme, 1 tsp mustard, salt (if desired), pepper and beef; mix until combined. Shape mixture into 4 1/2-inch-thick patties. Transfer patties to a baking tray lined with parchment or misted with cooking spray, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Prepare sauerkraut: In a medium saucepan, combine apple, sauerkraut and applesauce. Heat on high until steaming, then reduce heat to medium-high, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauerkraut wilts and apples soften. Remove from heat, set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare aioli: In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, remaining 1 clove garlic and remaining 1 tsp mustard. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat a grill or nonstick grill pan to medium-high. If using grill, lightly oil grate with cooking oil. Grill sausage for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred and fully cooked. Transfer sausage to a cutting board and slice into 8 1/4-inch-thick angled slices. Then grill burgers until juices run clear, turning once, about 10 minutes for medium-well doneness. Set aside and keep warm. Grill buns, cut sides down, until golden brown and toasted.
- To serve, spread 1 1/2 tbsp aioli on bottom half of each bun and top with 1 patty, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices sausage and 1/3 cup sauerkraut. Sandwich each with top half of bun.
- Serving Size 1 burger
- Calories 461
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 103 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 45 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 699 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g