The flavors in these skewers are inspired by North African cuisine, specifically Moroccan tagines, where sweet and savory notes are often beautifully fused. Here, we pair them with a simple yogurt salad that is common in the Levantine region and is especially cooling on hot summer days.
The marinade in this recipe uses Balkan yogurt, which tends to be a little more sour than regular yogurt. If you can’t find it, regular yogurt works just fine.
- Preheat a greased grill to medium-high.
- Prepare marinade: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, cumin, paprika, and salt. Add lamb and stir to coat. (TIP: If you have more time, you can marinate lamb in yogurt mixture in the refrigerator up to 4 hours.)
- To each skewer, add 2 pieces of lamb followed by 1 apricot half and then 1 onion piece; repeat. Skewer all remaining ingredients in the same manner.
- Add skewers to grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until cooked through and browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt salad: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumbers, one-half of mint and salt. Garnish with remaining one-half of mint. Serve with skewers.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 275
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 451 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g