Lamb & Apricot Skewers with Cucumber Mint Yogurt
We pair these skewers with a simple yogurt salad that is common in the Levantine region and is especially cooling on hot summer days.
The flavors in these skewers are inspired by North African cuisine, specifically Moroccan tagines, where sweet and savory notes are often beautifully fused. Here, we pair them with a simple yogurt salad that is common in the Levantine region and is especially cooling on hot summer days.
The marinade in this recipe uses Balkan yogurt, which tends to be a little more sour than regular yogurt. If you can’t find it, regular yogurt works just fine.
- 2 tbsp Balkan yogurt or whole-milk regular yogurt
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb deboned lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 6–8 apricots, halved (or use 3⁄4 cup dried apricots)
- 3 large red onions, cut into 2-inch pieces (or 6–8 shallots, halved)
- 3⁄4 cup Balkan yogurt or whole-milk regular yogurt
- 6 Persian cucumbers, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 6–8 metal or wooden skewers (soaked if using wooden)
- Preheat a greased grill to medium-high.
- Prepare marinade: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, cumin, paprika, and salt. Add lamb and stir to coat. (TIP: If you have more time, you can marinate lamb in yogurt mixture in the refrigerator up to 4 hours.)
- To each skewer, add 2 pieces of lamb followed by 1 apricot half and then 1 onion piece; repeat. Skewer all remaining ingredients in the same manner.
- Add skewers to grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until cooked through and browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt salad: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumbers, one-half of mint and salt. Garnish with remaining one-half of mint. Serve with skewers.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 275
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 451 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g