Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
NECTARINE KNOCKDOWN: A new study out of Texas AgriLife Research is suggesting that the bioactive compounds in stone fruits, including nectarines, could fight against metabolic syndrome. These include anthocyanins, chlorogenic acids, quercetin derivatives and catechins, which have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic properties.
1. Prepare dressing: In a small skillet, combine 1 tbsp oil, garlic and chile powder. Cook mixture on low until sizzling for 30 seconds, then transfer to a glass jar. Add 3 tbsp oil along with remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and shake to combine.
2. Prepare salad: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Toss beets with 1 tbsp oil, ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Spread beets over prepared baking sheet and roast until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice. (NOTE: If using both red and gold beets, place on opposite sides of the same tray.) Let cool.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; line a new baking sheet with parchment. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with remaining 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp salt. Spread onto prepared sheet; roast until golden and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring a few times. Let cool.
4. To a large bowl add kale, vinegar and ⅛ tsp salt; massage until kale is very soft. Add carrot, nectarine, radish and 3 tbsp dressing; toss to coat, adding more dressing if needed. Season with remaining ⅛ tsp salt. Top with beets, chickpeas, seeds and cheese (if using) just before serving.
MAKE AHEAD: Make recipe through Step 3 up to 4 days ahead. Store components in the refrigerator until ready to use, and store chickpeas in a jar left slightly open or paper bag at room temperature. Complete Step 4 right before serving. This salad will keep fully dressed in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 331
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 585 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g