- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 lb eggplant, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 5 tbsp thinly sliced garlic
- 3/4 lb Roma tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped, or 1 14.5-oz BPA-free can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels and spread eggplant on sheet; set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Remove paper towels from baking sheet and add 2 tbsp oil to eggplant; toss gently to coat. Transfer to oven and bake until edges are dark brown and crisp, about 16 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350˚F.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil on medium. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened but not browned. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, salt, allspice, cinnamon and/cup water; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and gently stir in eggplant. Transfer mixture to a large roasting pan and cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes; remove lid and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g