If you’re a hardcore veg-head or like to try your hand at meatless Mondays, you’ve had experience with plant-based frozen foods. While some brands are tasty and do have nutritional value, you’re oftentimes left thinking, “If it’s not meat, what is it?” Well, in this “chicken” dinner, you’ll know exactly what’s in every bite – and this Lemon and Herb Plant-Based Chicken is way better than those packaged grocery store alternatives.
What makes up this plant-based chicken
This completely plant-based recipe delves into the ingredients that make up a plant-based meat substitute. Its meaty texture – and protein content – comes from tofu, infused with plenty of flavor. In fact, what makes this recipe a stand-out is the spice and marinade that goes into it. With the use of herbs like rosemary and thyme, along with a drizzle of white miso and a creamy cashew sauce, you won’t miss your regularly-scheduled chicken.
Note: This is a meal that does require some advance planning and prep before you can get cooking. Be prepared to marinate your plant-based chicken in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight.
For another plant-based “meat” you can use in endless ways, try our Ultimate Homemade Meat Substitute recipe.
Lemon and Herb Plant-Based Chicken
- Add the tofu, oil, cider vinegar, miso, salt, onion powder, paprika and 1/3 cup water to the blender. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds, or until very smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle. Add the gluten, flour and baking soda. Beat on medium for 18 minutes, until stretchy. Divide mixture into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball and stretch into an oblong chicken-breast shape.
- Lay out four 12 x 14-inch pieces of aluminum foil. Line with a 10 x 10- inch square of parchment paper. Place one portion of plant-based chicken in the center of each piece of parchment and fold edges of foil together. Pinch seams to form a tightly sealed parcel.
- Fill an Instant Pot or pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Place the aluminum parcels on a metal trivet inside the cooker. Cook on high for 30 minutes, release the pressure. Remove and allow to cool.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together and add the plant- based chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- For the chive sauce, place the cashews, chives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup water in a high- speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté plant-based chicken in remaining oil for 5 minutes per side.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the salad. Serve the salad with the plant-based chicken. Drizzle chive sauce over the chicken.
- Serving Size 1/4
- Calories 437
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 739 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g