Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (4 large thighs)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 12 oz sugar snap peas
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 loosely packed cup sliced fresh basil
- Lemon wedges for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low. In skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Add shallot and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 more minute, until fragrant. Increase heat to high and add 1/4 cup broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring up brown bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and return chicken to skillet, spooning broth mixture over top. Scatter peas into mixture and transfer to oven. Bake for 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine bulgur, remaining 1 cup broth and coconut milk. Heat on high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and set aside. To serve, fluff bulgur with a fork and stir in basil. Divide chicken and bulgur among serving plates and top chicken with pan juices; garnish each with a lemon wedge, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1 roasted chicken thigh, 2/3 cup peas, 1/2 cup bulgur): Calories: 374, Total Fats: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 4.5 g, Carbs: 40 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 31 g, Sodium: 258 mg, Cholesterol: 94 mg