TIP: Roast acorn squash seeds for use in our Two-Week Meal Plan. Spread seeds on a small baking sheet and bake at 375°F until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 1/2 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 3 cups chopped acorn squash (peel on), seeds removed and reserved
- 1 oz all-natural turkey bacon
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tsp safflower or olive oil
- 3 tbsp shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper. Remove rosemary leaves from 4 stems and roughly chop; rub over outside of chicken, making sure to get under skin. Stuff chicken with remaining 6 whole sprigs rosemary and lemon. Transfer to a roasting pan with a rack and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake until an internal thermometer registers 165°F when inserted in thickest part of chicken, about 11⁄2 hours.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water. Add squash, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until soft, about 15 minutes; drain. On a cutting board, slip off peels from squash. Return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium nonstick skillet on medium-low. Add bacon and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
- To squash, add egg, oil and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. With a potato masher, mash until smooth. Transfer to a small baking dish and top with bacon and cheese.
- Once chicken is done, remove from oven, transfer to a clean cutting board and cover loosely with foil; let rest for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F and add squash mixture to oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve chicken with squash mixture.
- Serving Size: 4 oz roasted chicken without skin and 2/3 cup acorn squash mixture
- Calories: 326
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 159 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 294 mg
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g