Lemon- & Rosemary-Stuffed Turkey Breast with Lemon Orange Pan Sauce
This lemony roast stuffed with Parmesan and panko takes a bit of attention before it goes into the oven, but you’ll be rewarded with a turkey that avoids the last-minute muss and fuss of carving. After cooking, all you do is slice and serve.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 lemons, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 4-lb boneless whole turkey breast (2 halves), skin removed (NOTE: You may have to order this in advance.)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided, plus additional to taste
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder, dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour)
- Kitchen string
- Slice 1 lemon very thinly with a mandoline. (NOTE: Slice entire lemon, including peel, to about 1/16 of an inch).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange a roasting rack in a roasting pan and mist both with cooking spray.
- Arrange turkey skinned side down on a work surface. Using a long, thin knife, cut turkey almost entirely in half parallel to the work surface. (NOTE: The long side, which is parallel to where the breast bone would be, should still be attached.) Open turkey like a book and use a meat pounder to pound to 1/2-inch thick. Arrange lemon slices on turkey, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Top with panko, cheese, 2 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Starting at a long end, roll turkey up so the side that had the skin is on the outside, forming a log. Use kitchen string to tie at 1 1/2- to 2-inch intervals. Sprinkle all over with remaining 1 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Arrange turkey, seam side down, on prepared rack. Add broth and ½cup orange juice to roasting pan and roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Baste turkey with pan juices. Continue roasting uncovered and basting every 20 to 30 minutes, until an internal thermometer inserted into the center of roll reads 165°F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours total cooking time. (NOTE: If pan gets dry, add more broth or water to maintain about ¼-inch liquid.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, zest remaining lemon and set zest aside. Place roasting pan on stove top, straddled over 2 burners if necessary, and add remaining 1/2 cup orange juice. Bring to a boil on medium, scraping up any browned bits in pan. Whisk in arrowroot mixture and cook until sauce thickens, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in lemon zest and additional salt and pepper. Slice turkey crosswise. Serve sauce on the side.
- Serving Size 5 1/2 oz stuffed turkey breast and 3 tbsp pan sauce
- Calories 246
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 100 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 434 mg
- Sugar Content 2.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g