Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more 5-ingredient meals here!
- To a mini food processor, add 2 tbsp minced shallots, 1 tsp zest, 3/4 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tbsp oil; pulse until combined. In a medium bowl, toss scallops with shallot mixture; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meawhile, prepare lentils: In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water, lentils, sliced lemon and quartered shallot to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are cooked through, adding boiling water as needed to keep lentils covered, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain. Combine cooked lentils with 1/2 cup minced shallots, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1½ tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp zest, 1 tsp thyme and ½ tsp salt, or to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare compote: In a medium heat-proof bowl, cover currants with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes; drain. In a small saucepan on medium, heat 1½ tsp oil. Add 6 tbsp minced shallots and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes, until golden. Add currants, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 tsp thyme and salt, to taste, and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp lemon zest.
- In a 9- to 10-inch sauté pan on medium-high, heat remaining 1½ tsp oil. Sear scallops on one side until caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn scallops over using tongs, add 1½ tbsp lemon juice, and cook for 1 minute more. To serve, spoon lentils on each of 4 plates. Top with scallops and compote.
- Serving Size 3 scallops, 2/3 cup lentils, 1/4 cup compote
- Calories 504
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 11.5 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 555 mg
- Sugar Content 31 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g