Lemon & Shallot Macadamia Nut Spread
Nut cheeses are a tasty, easy-to-make and protein-rich alternative to cream cheese! Spread it on your morning bagel, toast or crepe, on your midday sandwich and afternoon crackers or pair it with your favorite fruit or veggie for an anytime treat. Try this Lemon & Shallot Macadamia Nut Spread with fresh strawberries or cucumber sticks.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Try this Lemon & Shallot Macadamia Nut Spread with fresh strawberries or cucumber sticks.
Find more meal plan recipes.
- 19 oz macadamia nuts, soaked in water for 45 minutes and drained
- 6 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tsp lemon zest, plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs of your choice (such as parsley, basil, chives), optional
- To a high-powered blender or food processor, add macadamia nuts and 2 cups water and blend until smooth.
- Line a small colander with cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Pour in nut mixture. Wrap cheesecloth around nut mixture, twist at top and squeeze. Place a heavy item on the top to force moisture out. Allow to sit in a warm location for 1 hour.
- Transfer nut mixture to a small bowl, reserving liquid, if desired. (TIP: You can use reserved liquid as a substitute for cream in coffee or tea.) Add remaining ingredients. Form into 2 logs and roll in garnish, if using.
- Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for future use. (NOTE: If you plan to freeze your nut spread, do not add the fresh herbs.)
- Serving Size 2 tbsp
- Calories 164
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 162 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g