Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat pasta, any shape
- 3 cups tightly packed baby spinach (3 oz)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Zest and juice 1 large lemon (2 tsp zest, 1/3 cup juice), divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted toasted almond slivers
- 1 6-oz can solid white tuna packed in water, no salt added
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced small
- 1 small zucchini, diced small
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (or 1 15-oz can low-sodium white beans, drained and rinsed)
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking further. Set aside.
- Put spinach, mint, garlic, cheese and lemon zest in a food processor and pulse to form a chunky paste. Combine lemon juice and oil in a liquid measuring cup. With food processor running (on but not pulsing), add juice-oil mixture through the food chute in a slow drizzle until a thick, smooth pesto forms. Combine pesto with cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- Put almonds in processor and pulse about 10 times, until finely chopped. Stir almonds into pasta.
- Drain tuna and flake it with a fork. Add it to pasta, along with yellow pepper, zucchini and beans. Toss to combine and season with salt and black pepper.
Nutrients per 2-cup serving: Calories: 450, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 66 g, Fiber: 14 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Cholesterol: 15 mg