MAKE YOUR OWN ZA'ATAR SPICE BLEND:
Makes 1/4 cup. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp sumac, 1 tbsp ground thyme, 1 tbsp ground oregano (preferably Mexican), 2 tsp sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Spice blend can be sealed in an airtight container and shelved for several weeks.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 12 oz boneless, skinless catfish fillets, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- Juice 1 lemon
- Zest 1 lemon, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 chunks
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp store-bought or homemade Za'atar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 12 unsalted almonds, finely chopped, optional
- 4 12-inch metal or wooden skewers (if wooden, soak in water for at least 20 minutes prior to using).
- In a large saucepot, add 4 1/3 cups water and bring to a boil. Add wild rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then add barley and brown rice and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, until water is evaporated and grains are tender. Fluff and set aside.
- Once grains have cooked for 20 minutes, set oven to broil on low. Place catfish in a small bowl and toss with lemon juice and all but 1 tsp zest. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Thread ingredients onto skewers in this order: zucchini, catfish, onion, catfish, tomato and catfish. Repeat sequence until skewer is filled.
- Place skewers on a small baking sheet covered in foil and coated with cooking spray. Broil skewers in oven for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend oil, Za'atar, reserved 1 tsp lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix into warm grains. To serve, place 1 1/2 cups grains on a plate and slide vegetables and catfish off of 1 skewer onto grains. If desired, sprinkle nuts over top. Serve immediately.
- If you love catfish, try our Cajun Catfish Po'Boy for a taste of Louisiana!
- Serving Size: 1 skewer and 1 1/2 c grains
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Cholesterol Content: 49 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 172 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g