Find more soup recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth + additional to taste (TRY: Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth Low Sodium)
- 1½ cups red or yellow lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ¾ tsp sea salt + additional to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ tsp fresh lemon zest + ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
BEET GREEN CRISPS
- 1 bunch beet greens or ½ bunch Swiss chard (NOTE: Make sure to dry well after rinsing. We like to keep the stems on; however, you can trim stems off leaves and just roast leaves if desired.)
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a medium pot on medium, heat olive oil. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add broth, lentils, ¾ tsp salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook partially covered until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Pull out thyme sprigs and discard. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and additional salt, as needed.
- Meanwhile, prepare crisps: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss greens and coconut oil, rubbing into both sides of leaves. Arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Bake for 5 minutes; turn over and bake for 5 minutes more, or until dry and crispy. (NOTE: If your oven runs hot, check greens after 3 minutes to avoid burning.)
- Divide soup among bowls and break up Beet Green Crisps over top.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of soup
- Calories: 447
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 12.5 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g