Lentil Kebab Bowl With Turmeric Tahini Sauce
In this Mediterranean bowl, red lentils and potatoes form the base of these plant-based kebabs. With seasoned rice, crunchy snap peas and a turmeric-tahini sauce, this is a full meal in a bowl.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp each ground turmeric, sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 mango, sliced into thin wedges
- 4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small yellow-fleshed potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- ½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour (TIP: If you don’t have chickpea flour on hand, use whole-wheat flour or cassava.)
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp raw honey
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground turmeric
- 12 small (6-inch) wooden skewers, soaked
- Prepare rice: In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 35 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Prepare kebabs: In a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat oil. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Add potato, garlic, ginger and turmeric; cook for 5 minutes. Add water, lentils, salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes; remove cover and cook on low for 12 to 15 minutes, until water is evaporated. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet.
- To the lentil mixture in pot, stir in flour and mix well. Shape into kebabs (each about 2½ inches), skewer kebabs on a wooden picks, making 12 skewers total. Place on a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown. (Alternatively, in order to grill them, allow them to firm up in the fridge for about 20 minutes.)
- Prepare sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Divide rice mixture among bowls. Top with snap peas and mango. Divide kebabs among bowl and drizzle with sauce. Garnish with radish and cilantro.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 688
- Carbohydrate Content 101 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 793 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g