This Lentil Kebab Salad is One Seriously Satisfying Plant-Based Meal
This craveable turmeric-tahini sauce means you’ll want to make these plant-based kebabs (yes!) again and again.
Here’s a salad that’s packed with good-for-you ingredients – and it’s entirely plant-based! This Lentil Kebab Salad with Turmeric Tahini Sauce takes its inspiration and its flavors from the Levant region along the eastern edges of the Mediterranean Sea. With a bed of baby spinach and an array of fresh produce, this salad is a great lunch or dinner for anyone who’s looking to eat more plants.
And this Lentil Kebab Salad is made even more satisfying with the addition of the meaty, oh-so-filling kebabs. These plant-based kebabs, which are made from red lentils and potatoes, combine with crunchy snap peas, mango and a turmeric-tahini sauce for a full meal. Plus, you’ll get so much fiber, protein and an array of plant-based vitamins and minerals to really round out your nutrition.
And if you’re looking for foods and meals that can potentially tame inflammation, this salad is a great option. We’ve incorporated turmeric in both the kebabs and the delicious sauce (which doubles as a dip and a dressing!) Turmeric contains curcumin, which is prized for its anti-inflammatory effects.
Lentil Kebab Salad with Turmeric Tahini Sauce
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small yellow-fleshed potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour (Note: If you don’t have chickpea flour, use whole-wheat flour or cassava)
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1⁄4 tsp each sea salt and ground turmeric
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, halved
- 1 mango, sliced into thin wedges
- 4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 12 small (6-inch) wooden skewers, soaked
- Prepare kebabs: In a medium saucepan over medium-high, heat oil. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Add potato, garlic, ginger and turmeric; cook for 5 minutes. Add water, lentils, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove lid; cook on low for 12 to 15 minutes, until water has evaporated. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Mist with cooking spray.
- To potato-lentil mixture, stir in flour and mix well. Shape into kebabs (each about 21⁄2 inches long) and
skewer on wooden picks, making 12 skewers total. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown. (Alternatively, grill the kebabs. Let them firm up in the fridge for about 20 minutes beforehand.)
- Prepare sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and divide among bowls. Top with snap peas and mango. Divide kebabs among bowls and drizzle with sauce. Garnish with radish and cilantro.
- Serving Size ¼
- Calories 579
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 763 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 9 g