Lentil Quinoa Taco Pie
Lentils and quinoa deliciously update this throwback weeknight dinner. We’ve shared our favorite garnishes, but feel free to change them up in favor of any other taco toppings you love.
Tip: Cook and cool quinoa ahead of time, or you can use frozen cooked quinoa and thaw before using.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Black Beans No Salt Added)
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: Origin 846 Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin)
- 2 cups BPA-free canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 19-oz BPA-free can lentils, drained
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- ¼ cup sour cream, optional
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tbsp pickled sliced jalapeño peppers
- 2 tbsp chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Make pie: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together quinoa, beans, one-half of cheese, beaten egg and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper, chile powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water and lentils. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Spread half of sauce over bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with quinoa mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining one-half of cheese and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Serve taco pie topped with sour cream (if using), lettuce, jalapeños, tomato and cilantro.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 283
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 596 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g