- In a small saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, to a small bowl, add thinly sliced onion and cover with one-half of the lime juice. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to quickly pickle onions.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet on low. Add walnuts and toast for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In same skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add lentils, walnuts and taco seasoning and stir everything together; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in remaining half of lime juice.
- Warm corn tortillas over a gas burner to get a little char on the outside. (Alternatively, in a dry, preheated cast iron pan, heat tortillas for 15 seconds per side.) Divide taco mixture among tortillas. Top with quick-pickled onion, avocado and cilantro.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, freeze 2 servings of filling for later in the week. Refrigerate remaining filling and toppings in separate containers. Reheat filling, warm tortillas and assemble tacos when called for.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 407
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g