Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Arrange oven rack in highest position. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Spread a layer of rock salt, if desired, or crumpled foil across the bottom of a large, rimmed baking sheet. Arrange oyster bottom shells on sheet and return oyster meat to each.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add spinach and parsley and cook for 30 seconds. Drain. When cool enough
to handle, squeeze spinach and parsley with several layers of paper towel to remove excess water. Transfer to a cutting board
and finely mince.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter on medium-high. Add fennel and scallions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach and parsley, milk, capers, lemon juice, hot sauce and reserved oyster juice. Cook until slightly reduced and heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon spinach mixture and a small amount of accompanying juices into oyster shells, dividing evenly. Top with cheese and bake on upper rack until cheese melts and browns, 12 to 15 minutes.
- If desired, serve oysters on a plate lined with rock salt, and garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with lemon.
- Serving Size 1 oyster
- Calories 64
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 194 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g