Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
You won’t miss the bread crumbs in this tasty recipe that cleverly coats chicken breasts in an egg wash and a keto-friendly Parmesan and Italian seasoning blend instead. Just an ounce of Parm can provide nearly 30% of the recommended daily intake of phosphorus, a nutrient that works with calcium (also found in Parmesan) to help build bones.
- Lay chicken breasts on a cutting board. Place one hand flat on top of one breast and use a sharp knife to slice into one side of breast, starting at thicker end and ending at thin end, cutting breast in half. Repeat with remaining chicken breast and set aside.
- To a shallow bowl, add egg. In another shallow bowl, combine Parmesan and Italian seasoning. Dip each chicken piece into beaten egg, shake off excess and dip into Parmesan mixture, coating both sides. Shake off excess and transfer to a plate. (Tip: After dredging, press chicken breast between two sheets of parchment paper to help Parmesan mixture stick better.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat two-thirds of oil. Working in two batches, sear chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on the first side, flip and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until no longer pink inside.
- Return all chicken to skillet and top each breast with an equal amount of marinara sauce and mozzarella on top. Drizzle remaining one-third of oil over cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with basil.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 420
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 143 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 1.5 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 628 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g