Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Sucanat
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 packet stevia
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, applesauce, oil, yogurt, vanilla and Sucanat; set aside. In a small bowl, toss pear with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Stir egg mixture and pour into flour mixture, mixing until well combined. Fold in half of pear chunks. Scrape batter into cake pan and smooth top. Evenly scatter remaining pear chunks over top of batter.
- Prepare Maple Cream: Using a hand-held mixer, beat cream cheese until light and creamy. Add yogurt, maple syrup, stevia and cinnamon and beat until well combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Bake cake on middle oven rack for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing on wire rack. Let cool completely before serving. Slice and serve cake with 1 tbsp Maple Cream.
Nutrients per serving (3-inch slice topped with 1 tbsp maple cream): Calories: 200, Total Fat: 5.5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 32 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 194 mg, Cholesterol: 4 mg
Nutritional Bonus: While cloves can be a powerful flavor, adding just the right amount of this nutrient-dense spice provides a source of calcium and magnesium.